Important Symbols in Jane Eyre novel by Charlotte Bronte


Symbols in Jane Eyre 
Important symbolism in Jane Eyre
Symbolism


There are many  symbols throughout the novel which are used to convey deeper meanings and themes.
List of symbols used in the novel of Jane Eyre.


Some symbols used in the novel "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte include:
Red Room:
The red room at Gateshead, which symbolizes the confinement and oppression that Jane experiences in her childhood.
The Fire:
The fire, which symbolizes passion and emotion. The imagery of fire is used throughout the novel to represent the burning passion and inner strength of the characters.
"I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself."
This quote, also spoken by Jane, symbolizes her self-reliance and determination.

The attic:
The attic, which represents isolation and confinement that Jane experiences in her childhood.
The moors:
The moors, which symbolize freedom and wildness, representing the idea of living life on one's own terms and breaking free from societal constraints.
"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will."  
This quote, spoken by Jane, symbolizes her desire for freedom and independence.

The Character of Bertha Mason:
Bertha Mason, the madwoman in the attic, who symbolizes the taboo and rejection of mental illness during the time period.

One of the main symbols in the novel is the character of Jane herself, who represents the idea of the "poor little governess" who struggles against societal conventions and expectations in order to assert her own independence and identity.

"I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad - as I am now."

This quote spoken by Mr. Rochester, symbolizes his desire to maintain his principles and morality even in difficult circumstances.

The marriage proposal:

The marriage proposal scene at the end of the novel, which symbolizes the triumph of true love over societal conventions.

"I am yours, and you are mine"

This quote spoken by Mr. Rochester, symbolizes the deep connection and love that exists between him and Jane.

The madwoman in attic:

The madwoman in the attic, Bertha, who symbolizes the taboo and rejection of mental illness during the time period.
Overall, the novel uses various symbols to convey deeper meanings and themes such as identity, independence, societal expectations, and the pursuit of true love.

Post a Comment

0 Comments